Cyber Etiquette–your opinion

In social networks and blog responses we interact with each other differently than we do face to face.  Social barriers are removed
and we don’t always feel the need to be nice to each other – think Glee where Gwyneth Paltrow uses the show to comment on Internet commenting, “Anonymous technology has allowed us to be brutally cruel without suffering any consequences,” …  “You know, we tear them down to feel better about ourselves, but we don’t just stop with the people who are on TV and magazines, we do it to everyone, and we think because it’s done anonymously there are no ramifications. But there are ramifications, guys, because it makes you comfortable with insensitivity.” (If you’re not familiar with Glee, think of any show or movie where a character has been treated cruelly.)

Directions:  find an article about cyber etiquette; cite the article in your reponse and comment about one piece of information contained in that article.

35 thoughts on “Cyber Etiquette–your opinion

1. I agree that on anonymous sites, people act differently than they would face-to-face. According to Raychelle Cassada Lohmann in her article ‘Cyber Etiquette for Teens’, “It’s never a good idea to post something when you’re emotional. Take some time to clear your head before you deal with the situation.” I think a lot of people say the most hurtful thinngs when they are angry.

2. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/teen-angst/201012/cyber-etiquette-teens
    From this article, I have learned that it is a lot easier for a person to post something on the internet than it is for the person to physically go up to the person and say something. Therefore, one shouldn’t post anything when they are angry, because you will most likely regret it. Take some time to clear your mind and assess what you are going to do. Andrew- PHS

• Andrew,

I agree with you that it is best to think through your actions before doing anything that you might regret. The internet makes it so easy to communicate that sometimes a person’s “filter” does not have enough time to engage and prevent people from saying regrettable things. I definitely agree that it’s best to only post to the internet when you have a clear and level head.

William

• I agree completely about how you should make your email name something serious. I know someone who did not get their job because of their email name.
      @Trey

• I completely agree about not making a “weird” email. Your email says a lot about who you are and it’s embarrassing when your email is like “kittehluver4eva.” Especially considering you probably made it when you were in 3rd grade.

3. People tend to forget their manners online and usually act a lot differently than they would in person. In the article that I found, “New Cell Phone Safety Campaign”, a series of schools in Rochester, New York are forming a program that informs parents, teachers, and students about how to appropriately use a cell phone. The program is designed to not only inform people of the proper use of cell phones but how to use cyber etiquette. According to the article 87% of teens in the US communicate mainly through cyber communication. I think this will be very beneficial to the students because they will learn how to be kind through messaging and avoid being the cause or victim of cyber bulling.
    My article: http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/New-Cell-Phone-Safety-Campaign/_mLfDGy13E6C0guRiWWYHg.cspx

• I agree with your Powerpoint and what not to do. Cyber etiquette is very important because you have to be careful what you write on the web.

• For sure, you have an excellent point there, not many people realize that once you post something on the internet, it never completely is erased.
      Andrew

4. I totally agree that people act unlike themselves when they are on the internet. People make fun of their own friends on social networks and blogs. I agree with Raychelle Cassada Lohmann when you was giving tips to parents about cyber etiquette. One of the steps was letting the parents know that any thing that is posted is public. Another is “do unto others as they unto you” meaning if you want to do something to someone be prepared for them to do the same thing back.

Landon

• I agree, most parents need to see how their kids use the internet and how dangerous it could be. Something serious could happen to either harm or injure your kids in some way so thats one of the reasons parent should control the use of the internet for their kids to use.

5. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/teen-angst/201012/cyber-etiquette-teens

In the article I learned that the average teen ages 8-18 spend at least 7 hours using modern day technology. Most teens use entertainment through devices rather talking with live people. There are a bunch of cyber etiquette tips and rules you should remember and follow. One of the biggest ones is to remember that everything you post online is public and anyone can see it.
    ~Sammy

• I think that 7 hours of technology is way too much for one day. They should be outside doing things with friends–playing sports and not spending their whole day inside. You can spend sometime inside but then you should go outside.

~ Landon

• Landon I totaly agree with you 158%. I agree because when I am watching TV the people are always saying how the kids should go outside every day and play 2 hours a day. Yes, I do think that 7 hours of technology is a lot for kids and the kids should go outside for at least 2 hours a day.

6. I agree with the idea that the anonymity of the internet causes people to act differently. I believe it is somewhat similar to the crowd mentality, where when being part of a crowd, an individual feels that his/her actions are anonymous. This short article that I found shed some interesting light into the issues of cyber etiquette at the university level. Previously, I had never considered that taking a position against cyber speech might violate first amendment rights. According to the article, one way to deal with trouble with cyber incidents is to use the university’s student handbook to ban undesirable actions. I’m not sure how effective this approach would be though.

William

http://www.necn.com/02/27/12/WKU-debating-students-use-of-social-medi/landing_scitech.html?&apID=b7c3cc3512654dd2bdea41a6e324ce8a

• I like your comparison of the topic to crowd mentality. The internet definitely does give people that sense of anonymity and people act much different than they would in a one on one conversation. I also found your article very intriguing, and I also had never considered that violating first amendment rights.

Bobby

7. http://www.businessinsider.com/mind-your-manners-the-value-of-etiquette-in-modern-networking-2012-2
    Having cyber etiquette is lacked in today’s society. The things people do online are often cruel and unusual, they post terrible comments on just about anything on the web. This article talks about the basic manners you’ve been learning ever since you’re a child, and how you should blend them into your online etiquette as well. The article also focuses on being polite and respectful, which ties in with social etiquette.

• I think you are completely correct, a lot people don’t use manners when they are online. We should make more of an effort to blend common courtesy with online etiquette and be respectful of who or what we post online.
      ~ Emily

8. I do agree that people tend to act very differently online than they would in person, and there is definitely potential for disaster when people use the internet so much and begin to project the same etiquette into real life situations. In the article that I found, I read about how parents and online experts have been pushing to begin teaching cyber etiquette in the classroom. The Federation of Parents and Citizens Associations agree that there is a desperate need for online etiquette to be taught in schools. I feel that a lot of parents are still unaware of what their children partake in on the internet, and therefore they cannot really teach their children how to be safe on the web, so implementing cyber etiquette into schools will immensely benefit children.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/182111/20110718/facebook-social-networking-cyberbullying-schools-children-kids-p-and-c.htm

• I completely agree. I don’t know about every parent but my parents aren’t very good at using the computer, let alone the internet. They usually have to ask me for help. Because of that they don’t really understand everything that can be done on a computer and definitely haven’t taught me anything about cyber etiquette.

• I think that it would be a great idea to teach or at least make aware cyber etiquette in the classroom. More people would actually understand about cyber etiquette if they were forced to learn through an assembly or something of that sort. The school should also make an effort to educate parents about cyber etiquette so they could follow through at home. Overall I agree that schools should also help teach cyber etiquette to the modern child.
      Alexa

9. I think the internet is full of many jerks that use anonymous profiles to annoy and make fun of people. . Anonymous profiles are used for keeping your name and profile secure and unnoticed. It’s not used for cyberbullying. I know many cyber bullys that use the Anonymous profiles to say bad things on art and videos.

• I completely agree with this most people will talk to people online differently then they will talk to them face to face

• Yes that is very true because you dont know who somone is when they are not in public and they could act way diffrent.

Brennon T.

10. http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/182111/20110718/facebook-social-networking-cyberbullying-schools-children-kids-p-and-c.htm
    I think that this article shows how much people are bullied over social networking sites. I had not realized that at some schools, the police had to be called everyday over cyberbullying. I don’t believe it’s a good idea for teachers to teach us the “proper” way to social network because we have different views than they do.
    Hannah.

11. I also agree with Landon because I feel we should all go outside for numerous hours in a day. However I do feel that there is nothing wrong with watching TV for a little while at night. I mean it isnt sunny out all 24 hopurs of the day.
    -Bryce